- APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR 2 NATIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS: JANUARY 15, 2014: (November 25, 2013):
The John Alex Crawford scholarship is awarded to an RPN pursuing Master’s or Doctoral studies related to psychiatric nursing practice, and the Annette Osted National Student Scholarship is awarded to a student enrolled in the 3rd or 4th year of a baccalaureate psychiatric nursing program in Canada. For more information, click here.
- TWO FEDERAL FUNDING ANNOUNCMENTS AFFECTING RPNS (November 18, 2013):
The federal government has announced the funding for two credential recognition projects that involve RPNs: the RPNC’s Mobility and Assessment of Canadian and Internationally Educated Psychiatric Nurses, and the National Nursing Assessment Service project, which will provide a single entry point for any international nurse applying to Canada. For the press release about the RPNC project, click here. For the press release about the NNAS project, click here.
- DISPENSING MEDICATIONS and PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY PRACTICE STANDARDS (October 8, 2013):
CRPNBC has published two new practice standards:
Dispensing Medication – In order to support inter-collaborative practice, this practice standard was created in conjunction with CRNBC and CLPNBC. Each organization is publishing similar practice standards this fall. In order to allow registrants and employers time to prepare for this standard and develop supports for safe practice, it will come into effect on June 27th, 2014.
Privacy and Confidentiality – This practice standard comes into effect November 1, 2013.
- PUBLIC AWARENESS CAMPAIGN: OUR PURPOSE, YOUR SAFETY (September 17, 2013)
CRPNBC is participating in a campaign by over 20 health regulators to raise public awareness of the role Colleges play in patient and client safety, which professions are regulated, why it’s important to choose a regulated health provider, and what can be done if clients have concerns about the care they receive. The theme of the campaign is “Our Purpose, Your Safety.” The campaign includes: a website (www.bchealthregulators.ca), province wide bus shelters, closed captioning television, posters, and select print media.
- CHRISTMAS OFFICE CLOSURES (September 17, 2013)
The CRPNBC office wil be closed from December 23, 2013 – January 1, 2014. The office will also be closed December 4 after 12:45 p.m. for a staff event.
- EDUCATION DAY PRESENTATIONS (June 7, 2013):
For those registrants who were unable to attend Education Day in Kelowna, we are pleased to provide links to the four power point presentations. They are:
- RPN SUPERVISION OF LPNs (June 26, 2013):
We have received a number of queries about whether RPNs can continue to supervise LPNs.In response we confirm that RPNs can continue to supervise LPNs. While the existing LPN Regulation states that an LPN must work under the supervision of an RN, both CRPNBC and CLPNBC¹ agree that supervisory relationships between RPNs and LPNs currently exist. Both RPNs and LPNs are waiting for updated Regulations to be proclaimed. In the meantime supervisory relationships that RPNs have with LPNs should continue pending further information about regulatory changes.If you would like further clarification or assistance please email Fiona Ramsay at [email protected].
¹ CLPNBC (2013). Scope of Practice for Licensed Practical Nurses (page 3).
- NEW PRACTICE STANDARDS (June 2013): CRPNBC has published new Practice Standards for specific aspects of practice: Appropriate Use of Title, Consent, Documentation and Medication Administration. The former Standards for Registered Psychiatric Nurses has been renamed to Professional Standards for Psychiatric Nursing as the overarching standards for the profession. For the complete standards, click here
- DIETICIANS’ AUTHORITY TO RECOMMEND VITAMINS AND MINERALS FOR THERAPEUTIC DIETS (April 2, 2013): When recommended by a dietician as part of a therapeutic diet, pharmacists may release Schedule III and unscheduled drugs and nurses may administer them. Click here for the full joint statement issued by the Colleges of Dieticians, LPNs, Pharmacists, RNs and RPNs.
- NEW SHARED PRACTICE STANDARD ON BOUNDARIES IN THE NURSE-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP (December 20, 2012)
In collaboration with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of B.C. and the College of Registered Nurses of B.C., we are pleased to announce the publication of our first shared Practice Standard, Boundaries in the Nurse-Client Relationship. This joint Practice Standard is evidence of the shared values of nurses from all professional designations. Click here for the document.
- MINISTRY PROPOSES NEW REGULATIONS AFFECTING RPN PRACTICE (October 22, 2012): The Ministry of Health has proposed a new Nurses (Registered Psychiatric) Regulation to define the RPN scope of practice and the restricted activities RPNs may perform. The proposed Regulation can be found here.
The Ministry is also proposing the following regulation changes under the Health Professions Act to implement the shared scope of practice/restricted activities regulatory model for the three nursing professions:
– Repeal and replacement of the Nurses (Licensed Practical) Regulation
– Consequential amendments to the Nurses (Registered) and Nurse Practitioners Regulation.
The proposed regulation for the LPNs can be found here.
The proposed amendments to the regulation for the RNs and NPs can be found here.
A table comparing the proposed regulations for the three nursing professions can be found here.
- The CRPNBC submissions commenting on the proposed Regulation can be found here.
- The CRPNBC Board of Directors has approved a NEW 3 YEAR STRATEGIC PLAN (September 14, 2011) for the College. Click here to view.