Non-Practicing and RPN vs. RN Registration
Section 43(1)(d) of the CRPNBC bylaws require those applying for non-practicing status to provide an undertaking not to engage in the practice of psychiatric nursing and to use the term “non-practicing” with any use of the RPN title. For the Non-practicing Undertaking, click here.
An explanation of requirements:
Practicing registration is required if you are working as a Registered Psychiatric Nurse in B.C.
Non-Practicing registration is available if you are not working as an RPN in B.C. (e.g., working elsewhere, retired or on paternal leave) but you wish to continue receiving CRPNBC communications (e.g., the Communicator newsmagazine), which are sent only to registrants.
If you opt for Non-Practicing registration, you are by definition not working as an RPN. Therefore, if you choose to be Non-Practicing, you cannot accumulate hours toward the Continuing Competence Program requirement of 1400 practice hours in the last 5 years (new graduates have 5 years from graduation). This applies even if you are dually trained and registered as a practicing RN. Even if you continue to work as an RN, you may have to take a refresher program to be reinstated as an RPN.
If as a Non-Practicing registrant you apply to convert to Practicing, you must meet the 1400 practice hours requirement. Otherwise, you must take a refresher program before being allowed to practice.
If you have been out of practice 2 years or less and you meet the 1400 hours requirement, you do not have to pay a reinstatement fee to go on the Practicing register (but you have to pay the Practice fee).
If you have been out of practice more than 2 years and you meet the 1400 hours requirement, you will have to pay a reinstatement fee of 20% in addition to the Practice fee.
If you do not meet the 1400 hours requirement, you must take a refresher program and pay the initial registration fee in addition to the Practice fee.
- About CRPNBC
- Public Protection
- International Applicants
- Interprovincial Mobility
- Registration Examination
- Registration Types and Statuses
- Fee Schedule
- Criminal Record Check FAQ
- Practice Support
- Standards of Practice, Code of Ethics & Competencies
- Scope Of Practice
- Continuing Competence Program
- Professional Development Resources
- Position Statements, Standards and Reports
- Health and Safety
- Workplace Representatives
- CRPNBC Awards of Excellence
- Practice Concerns
- Canadian Journal of Psychiatric Nursing Research, Issue 2
- Resources and Publications
- Bank Account Info Change Form
- Change Information
- Continuing Competence Self-Assessment Form
- Credit Card Payment Form
- Criminal Record Check Consent Form
- Interim Registration Form
- Non-Practicing Undertaking
- Preauthorized Payment Enrollment Form
- Registration Renewal Form
- Requesting Registration Form
- Salary Replacement Form
- Volunteer Expense Claim Form