The Canadian Free Trade Agreement facilitates the interprovincial mobility of RPNs by allowing Practicing registration in one province to be recognized as being able to register in another. Currently, psychiatric nursing is recognized as a distinct profession only in the four Western provinces, each of which has its own psychiatric nursing regulator:
- British Columbia – College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of BC (CRPNBC)
- Alberta – College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Alberta (CRPNA)
- Saskatchewan – Registered Psychiatric Nurses Association of Saskatchewan (RPNAS)
- Manitoba – College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Manitoba (CRPNM)
You can find out about our registration requirements by reviewing the following webpages:
How to apply
+ Step 1 - Initial application
You will need to provide/complete the following as part of the initial application process:
- Initial application (online): complete an initial application form, found here.
- Identification: submit two pieces of acceptable identification. The specific requirements for identification can be found in the ‘Identification’ Registration Requirement document.
- Confirmation of Registration (RPN): use the Confirmation of Registration form to obtain confirmation of your registration from the other Canadian psychiatric nursing regulator(s) with whom you have most recently been registered.
- Confirmation of Registration (non-RPN): Use the Confirmation of Registration (non-RPN) form to obtain confirmation of your registration with all regulators you are currently registered with.
- Confirmation of Psychiatric Nursing Practice Hours: use the Confirmation of Psychiatric Nursing Practice Hours form to obtain this from all psychiatric nursing employers you have worked for in the last five years.
- CRRA Criminal Record Check: follow the instructions on our Criminal Record Checks Under the BC Criminal Records Review Act webpage to obtain your CRRA Criminal Record Check.
- Additional requirement for registrants of The College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Manitoba: CRPNM registrants are required to provide an Adult Abuse Registry Check and a Child Abuse Registry Check through the Manitoba Department of Families. Processing time is 4-6 weeks so please allow sufficient time for these documents to be processed.
- Online learning module: you will need to successfully complete the CRPNBC online learning module Introduction to BC RPNs’ Ethical, Professional and Legal Responsibilities prior to registering with the college. See the Online Learning Module Registration Requirement Document for further information.
Your documents must be current within two months of your completed application. Incomplete applications will be discarded, and you will need to begin the application process again for any subsequent interprovincial transfer requests. This may include providing new payment.
+ Step 2 - Review by CRPNBC
Our review of your initial application may indicate that further information is required. If so, we will request this from you directly.
Once we have the required documents, and confirmation that you have completed the online learning module, we will process your application within seven business days.
+ Step 3 - First Registration (Practicing or Non-practicing registration)
If your initial application is approved, you will receive an email containing instructions as to how to complete your First Registration application, which may be for either Practicing (if you are in BC already and you are ready to start work) or Non-practicing registration (if you have not yet moved to BC).
You must complete this application, and pay registration fees (which are set in line with the CRPNBC fee schedule). Your First Registration application will be processed within seven business days.
Once your First Registration application has been approved, you will receive confirmation via email.
Information for CRPNBC registrants wishing to register with another RPN regulator
If you are a CRPNBC registrant who wishes to register with another RPN regulator in Canada please start by going to the following web pages: